March 16, 2008

Hyacinthus Orientalis


My husband bought me a Hyacinthus some days ago. I made a quick sketch today. I found the information that the Hyacinth is native to Iran and that the prophet Mohammed is reported to have said “If I had but two loaves of bread, I would sell one and buy hyacinths, for they would feed my soul."...

Mein Mann schenkte mir vor einigen Tagen Hyacinthen. heute skizzierte ich sie mit Aquarellfarben. Die Hyazinthe kommt ursprünglich aus dem Iran und man sagt, der Prophet Mohammed habe gesagt: "Wenn ich zwei Laibe Brot hätte, würde ich einen verkaufen und Hyazinthen kaufen, denn sie würden meine Seele nähren."...

10 comments:

sukipoet said...

Lovely painting. interesting info. I will post a link to this on my blog. Do you know human being? She lives in Iran. Lovely woman.

Sandy said...

Claudia, I adore this painting, it is simply glorious, and the bit of history is most interesting, and yes they do feed the soul.

mARTa said...

Pienso que para celebrar la primavera que llega esta semana voy a comprar un hyacinthu. Yours is so lovely that when I do buy mine I will think of your lovely sketch. Any opportunity to feed the soul is good!

Lynn Cohen said...

Got here from Suki' blog. Very lovely paintings of flowers. I love to photograph them, your paintings are so delicate.

Mary Richmond said...

your watercolors are lovely!

Anonymous said...

a lovely hyacinth Claudia...I enjoy the soft, gentleness with which you painted this one.
ronell

Mia said...

Lovely, Claudia! I am very fond of hyacinths and your watercolour of them is just beautiful. I also like your winter landscape in the previous post (well, to tell the truth, I love everything you paint!)

Your beautiful watercolour of my little red house has come back from the framing shop, and is looking as lovely as ever. Now it has a silver coloured frame around it, and is giving me a lot of pleasure, every time I look at it. And it always reminds me of my dear friend Claudia, who so generously made it for me. Thank you!

ellie said...

Beautiful painting ! I wish I wasn't so allergic to hyacinths I would love to have them in my house, but they make my eyes swell and my nose run !!

Ankan said...

Lovely paiting of the hyacint! And i liked the picture of the church and houses, so charming whith the snow! Have a nice weekend!

marianne said...

Ohh this one is very nice!